Thursday, November 20, 2008

the best program . . . .




Bwahahah!

3 of my newest pieces, each was created in a different program: Photoshop (cs3), Painter (x), and Open Canvas. And possibly not the one you think! (See if you can guess! No fair if you've already seen them on DA!)

For as much as TEH BEAR and I "argue" about the merits and disadvantages of each of these particular programs, I really think that they work well in conjunction. Photoshop is, of course, the most widely used, and the one whose file format is most likely to be openable by another program. Open canvas has its own unique system, and the layers are kind of WTFish, but the brushes are really great. As for painter? I wish I could spend a lot more time with it, cause its really got a lot of pro's going for it, especially if you like to paint on the computer like you're painting in real life (but with less mess.) The thing is, though, their 'opacity' is more like photoshop's 'flow,' so you get some weird things going on, and don't always get the effect you want.

The blue samurai one was done basically emulating the style of Dani Jones (danidraws.com); the red and green SDL was done for the Samurai Dueler's League on Deviantart. The cowboy was done because I misheard some lines from Jonny Cash's "Ghost Riders in the Sky" as "Crosses in the Sky," and thought it sounded kinda cool. (Thoguh admittedly I"m not 100% happy with the pic, my "lineless" style really kinda sucks. I enjoy lines in my drawings as part of my drawings. But I want to become better, and better at many things. So there's nothing to do but press on and throw out some crappy ones along the way!)

Regardless of which program may be "better," though, the secret is of course spending time to get to know the interface, and being able to draw well in the first place.

I also hafta say I have a prejudice towards painter, cause face it: photographers don't use it. And I have choice words about things like "fine art photography."

1 comment:

Scoot said...

The Bear is always right. you'll learn in time. nice work though!